Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Teaching 5th grade

Teaching 5th grade at the 2nd school we visited in Daejeon was a gas for me. It's late and I can't remember the school or the teachers even though I had an email penpal arrangement through a webservice called epals.com with the teacher whose class I taught (a friend of Mi Song who came to Onalaska and teaches in the same school).

Anyway it was a fantastic experience for me having control of the class and actually teaching. It all was easier thanks to having a previous relationship with the students and teacher. They were eager to meet me and I them. The two 40 minute sessions flew by.

It was an even more fantastic time since I was suffering GI irritation, nausea etc. from a beef dish at a wayside restaurant the first night as we traveled to Daejeon from Inchon. Three others had the same dish and also got sick. One other had the dish, but didn't get sick --go figure. Carol missed the whole day. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures to post.

I'm looking forward to continuing this epals.com relationship with my next class in the fall. The connections from the Youth Exchange have extended out to Carol's and my teaching. The Holy Spirit seems to be working at developing what the Koreans call "affinities" or interdependency's between individuals and groups that are not coincidence.

Pete

No comments: